Saturday, June 11, 2011

Confections Cupcakes - Woodbridge, Va

Last weekend, my mom and I decided to check out the Occoquan Craft Fair, which is a bi-annual event that has been happening my whole life, and probably longer.  I have fond memories of going as a child and was always on the lookout for new doll clothing or hair accessories.  Nowadays, I prefer the jewelry booths or baby things for the Luce. 

One of my goals for the day was to sample the wares from Confections Cupcakery, which is a business owned by the sister of a childhood friend of mine.  I learned through Facebook that they'd have a booth at the fair and as BJ and I had been wanting to try these for a while, decided this was the perfect opportunity.  At the lovely booth, I bought a dozen cupcakes and shared them with my parents as well.

photo courtesy of the Confections FB page

In general, we really enjoyed these cupcakesThey are fairly different from the other ones we've tried in the area, in that the cake is very light.  A lot of other bakeries use very heavy cake recipes with lots of butter and these were quite the opposite, in a good way.  The cake was light and moist and almost angel food-like, so if you like that consistency, this is your place!  The icing was sugary and delicious.  I really enjoy a cupcake when the entire bite is good and the cake and icing work well together and these definitely fit that bill.  

The flavors we tried included vanilla vanilla (obviously), chocolate chocolate, chocolate peanut butter, coconut, vanilla blueberry, oreo, and red velvet.  My parents tried some of the above, as well as strawberry and lemon.  The consensus all around was that they were solid cupcakes.  If I were to tweak a couple of things, I would make the chocolate frosting more chocolatey and to use cream cheese icing instead of vanilla on the red velvet.  My parents enjoyed the fruit flavors, though they were a little too sweet in their opinions.  Everyone agreed that Confections has a lot of potential and the fact that it is in Woodbridge AND delivers make it a great option if you're not in the city.  I think they will keep expanding and improving and we will certainly order from them again.

No comments:

Post a Comment