Thursday, June 16, 2011

Pioneer Woman's Chicken Salad

I came late to the Pioneer Woman party.  Ree Drummond, otherwise known as The Pioneer Woman, is a former city girl who married a cowboy, lives on a ranch, and writes a very popular blog about her life.  I'd seen her name floating around on a couple other blogs I read, but only recently started reading hers and I'm hooked. 

I came across one of her recipes the other day and it looked so different and delicious that I decided to try it.  I am not generally someone who follows recipes exactly, they're more like guidelines, but I stuck fairly close for this one.  I made her Grilled Chicken Salad with Feta, Fresh Corn, and Blueberries.


Mine isn't nearly as pretty as the picture on Ree's website, but it was very tasty!  It is basically chicken, blueberries, fresh corn just cut off the cob, red onion, sour cream and mayo, feta cheese and a little dill.  BJ originally thought this sounded like a disgusting combination of ingredients, but once he tasted it, he was sold.  His friend Mike stopped by to pick something up while we were eating and he insisted Mike try it too!  I made a couple of changes:

1.  I used pieces of rotisserie chicken instead of grilled because we had it on hand
2.  I used only 4 oz. of feta and used fat-free
3.  I left out the celery because I don't like it

Fairly minor changes overall.  I loved this.  I will definitely make it again and I would take it to a party or serve it to guests.   This is such a great dish for summer too, as it uses seasonal ingredients like the corn and blueberries - perfect to make after a trip to the local farmers' market!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment