Tuesday, October 04, 2011

I Heart Chubby Jones

Anyone who knows me knows I've never really been athletically-inclined.  I like going to the gym and have taken up rowing in the summers over the last several years, but nothing really hard-core.  I leave that to BJ.  But, after hearing about the Couch to 5K program on the interwebs and from some friends, I thought, gee, I could maybe do this!  The C25K program is exactly as it sounds - a program designed to get a total novice from running very small amounts to running a 5K in about 9 weeks.  There are many podcasts, websites, and apps available to help a newbie get started.

I started this program while I was home on maternity leave last fall.  I got about 5 weeks in and then went back to work and pretty much stopped exercising for many many moons as our family adjusted to new routines.  This past summer, I picked it back up again, hoping to finally get to the end.  I am happy to say that I can now run 30 minutes without stopping.  I'm not fast, definitely won't win any races, but I will finish! 

A major factor in my being able to get through the program has been the Chubby Jones Podcast.  Chubby Jones, who is really Mia Jones, is a blogger and music/tv critic who has recorded a podcast for anyone who wants to run the C25K with her.  She chooses the music for you, normally mash-ups and independent artists she won't get in trouble for using, and she tells you when to walk, when to run, and gives all kinds of encouragement including giving yourself a pat on the butt and drinking margaritas as rewards.  You also occasionally hear about her 2 French bulldogs.  Mia is hilarious and it has been really great having her in my ear as I've been jogging.  So, a big thank you to Miss Chubby Jones!!!

If you are interested in starting this program, I highly recommend checking her out!

No comments:

Post a Comment