Thursday, July 28, 2011

July Book Club Review - The Murderer's Daughters

Last week, we met to discuss the July selection for Book Club - The Murderer's Daughters by Randy Susan Meyers.

Upon reading the summary on the back, I thought that it sounded interesting, but probably not one I'd pick up on my own.  I started it and got through it fairly quickly - despite the ominous title, it is a swift read.  This is the story of Lulu and Merry, whose father killed their mother, and the consequences of that act on their lives over the next 40 or so years.  The reader gets both girls' points of view and sees how differently each one internalizes their family tragedy.  There are some awful characters and situations that made me cringe, but overall the characters are very real and engaging.  You want to find out what happens next.  I learned after finishing it that this was based on a real life incident where the author's father attempted to kill her mother but was unsuccessful.  She always wondered "what if?' and began to write.  That added a whole new layer to the story and made it more meaningful.  It was not quite as gripping as I imagined it would be, but a very solid read that sparked some really good discussion.

No comments:

Post a Comment